The church of St George, also known as Runovic’s church, was built by the brothers Runovic from Prizren in the 15th century. It is located in the old town, in the courtyard of the Prizren’s cathedral, also dedicated to St George. The church was used as a Prizren cathedral from the middle of the 18th century when the Turks converted the Theotokos of Ljevis church into the mosque until 1887 when the much larger Cathedral of St George was completed. During the Turkish occupation, many religious icons and relics were held in the church. A partial donor’s (Ktetorial) inscription, carved in the stone, from the year of 1331/1132 was discovered, mentioning Dragoslav and Bela Tutic of St Nicholas church.
Collection of fresco paintings, ornaments, and architectural pictures.
The church’s base is rectangular with apse that is three-sided shaped on the outside and curved from the inside. The southern side of the church contains a narrow side nave, while the altar table is stationary. The church is built of broken stone, while the bricks were used only on the western side as a decorative element. Both of the nave sides have the curved vaults and the lead sheets cover the roof. The northern side of the church contains three large semicircular windows.
The frescoes of St George church were painted in the second half of the 16th century and they are preserved in the altar and in the vault. The Mother of God enthroned with the infant Christ, surrounded by two angels, is presented in the apse. Right below it, are depicted Officiating Church Fathers. In the niches of the diaconicon and prothesis are the figures of the Holy deacons, while the triumphal arch contains the Holy Mandylion and Annunciation.
The central part of the vault is occupied by various aspects of Christ, as well as the Hetoimasia. In contrast, the south and west sections contain the busts of prophets, Old Testament patriarchs, and holy poets. Under them are the scenes from the Cycle of Great Feasts.
The church was also set on fire in March’s riots of 2004. The fire was greatly intensified by the firewood stored there by the KFOR. However, it was restored in the year of 2005-2018, while the damaged fresco paintings, mainly heat caused a color change, were conserved in 2013.