Monastery Naupara

Monastery Naupara

In the village of Naupara, not far from the town of Kruševac, there is a monastery of the same name with its church, presently dedicated to the feast of Nativity of the Mother of God. It was built as a palatial church, as we learn from the charter issued by Prince Lazar and Patriarch Spyridon in 1382. In that charter, they granted permission for the foundation of the Monastery of Drenča to the monk Dorotheus and his son, hieromonk Daniel, who bequeathed the court in Naupara with its church to the newly founded monastery. Since the name of the founder before he took the monastic vow is unknown, there are various speculations concerning his identity, but he was certainly among the wealthiest members of the Serbian nobility.

The church was built, most probably, in the 1370s, modeled after the palatial church of Prince Lazar in nearby Kruševac. It has a trefoil plan, with a dome above its central area and a bell tower above the narthex. In addition to sculptural decoration which is characteristic of churches built in the style of architecture of the Morava period, facades were also enlivened by painting. Sculpted ornamentation is mostly placed in the higher zones of the church, and of particular note is a large rosette on the west facade.

In the course of exploration works carried out in 1992, remains of the wall painting were discovered, which were subject to cleaning two years later. Two layers of painting were uncovered, the older one made before 1382, as can be discerned from the remnants of the founder's composition on the south wall of the narthex where the founder was painted in secular clothing. In the first zone of the nave, standing figures of saints in the south choir and on the west wall are partly visible. In the higher zones, remains of scenes from the cycle of Great Feasts can be seen, as well as fragments of medallions. In the drum of the dome, images of three Old Testament prophets can be distinguished. The second layer of painting was, most probably, made in the second decade of the 15th century. It is preserved, albeit to a small extent, in the narthex, as can be seen in the image of the Mother of God with Christ painted in the lunette above the entrance to the church and the ruler’s portrait painted on the south section of the east wall of the narthex.


The best of pictures in a short presentation. Go though them at your own pace or run a pre-built slideshow.


Collection of photographs of the monastery church, buildings, architectural decoration and wall painting.


360° view of the interior of the church.

BLAGO Collections Map

See the map of all BLAGO collections.

Other Collections