BLAGO: Archives

 Virtual walk through ...
Monastery grounds
View the monastery grounds, including the church from the outside.
Church interior
Move around the church or select a few interesting points for viewing.
 Details & Pictures
Church snapshots
Wide angle snapshots inside the church.
Frescoes, sacral objects, architectural elements, and more, in detail.
Slide archive
Reference library of slide pictures.
BLAGO crew at work
Research papers and other resources.
Mileseva and vicinity
Aerial view
Monastery grounds
BLAGO Archive sites

The monastery of Mileseva was founded by Vladislav, King of Serbia, son of Stefan the First-Crowned and grandson of Stefan Nemanja, founder of the Serbian medieval dynasty. Ancient Serbian biographers recorded that the erection of Mileseva started immediately after Vladislav's accession to the trone in 1234. However, some specific details of the church frescoes lead to the conclusion that Mileseva might have been constructed some ten years earlier, at the time when Vladislav was a royal prince ruling over the Black Mount (Crna Stena) area in which the monastery was located.

After having spent ten years on the trone, Vladislav was to pass the scepter over to his younger brother Uros in 1243. Residing thereafter in the coastal region of Zeta, he died in the eighties of the 13th century and was buried in his royal foundation - Monastery of Mileseva.