In the historical region of Raška, in the gorge of the river Ibar, on the slopes of Kopaonik Mountain, lies the Monastery of Nova Pavlica. It is situated near the Byzantine church Stara (Old) Pavlica from the 11th century and the medieval fortification Brvenik, erected above the old town of the same name, which was an important economic center. The monastery is an endowment of the Musić family related to Prince Lazar Hrebeljanović. Portraits of brothers Stefan and Lazar Musić, nephews of Prince Lazar, are preserved on the west wall of the nave of the monastery church dedicated to the Presentation of the Mother of God.
The church was built in the 1380s as a trefoil combined with a cross-in-square plan, with a single dome above the nave resting on stone columns. A spacious narthex was added later, most probably during the 15th-century reconstruction of the church, while the bell tower was erected in the 19th century.
The wall painting of Nova Pavlica has significantly been damaged, with the remaining frescoes revealing the work of highly skilled painters and displaying mostly standard iconographic features. Some peculiarities can be noted in the not so often depicted image of Dead Christ in proscomedia and Founders’ portraits, painted without a church model in their hands, and a depiction of the current ruler is also lacking. In the narthex, portraits of the Metropolitan of Ras Joanikije and an unknown aristocrat are depicted, painted after the renovation of the monastery in the mid-15th century. Frescoes were cleaned in 1954/55, while archeological excavations and conservation works were carried out in the last two decades of the 20th century.
The best of pictures in a short presentation. Go though them at your own pace or run a pre-built slideshow.
Collection of photographs of the monastery church, buildings, architectural decoration and wall painting.