Our collections contain many thousands of pictures from the most precious monuments of medieval art and culture. Each of them is a complete snapshot of it, top to bottom, inside and outside. The Creative Commons license covers all the work, you can use it, but you have to ask for it.
The city of Prizren, once capital of the emperors of the Nemanjić dynasty, still preserves some of the Serbian medieval churches such as those of the Theotokos of Ljeviš, St George, St Nicholas and Holy Saviour.
The endowment of King Stefan of Dečani, founded in 1327, is one of the greatest achievements of Serbian art with its katholikon as the largest medieval church in the Balkans.
Built in 1321, the endowment of King Milutin is known for its wall painting, which is among the most exquisite in all Serbian medieval art.
This complex of churches connected by a joint narthex was built over the course of a century, beginning in the 1230's. It became the seat of Serbian patriarchs and a burial place of numerous Serbian church leaders.
Church of the Presentation of the Virgin in Lipljan is an endowment of an unknown nobleman whose portrait is preserved among the remains of the original wall painting from the middle of the 14th century.
Velika Hoča is one of the oldest Serbian settlements in Metohija and an important economic and spiritual center in the Middle Ages. Five churches and eight monasteries are preserved from that time.
Church in the village of Donji Ajnovci, near Kosovska Kamenica, known by the name of "Tamnica", was built in the 14th century on the ruins of an earlier Byzantine basilica. Only fragments of the fresco painting have been preserved.
Church of the Ascension of the Mother of God near Novo Brdo was built in 1354/55 owing to its founder, nobleman Dabiživ and the members of his family, whose names are preserved in the inscriptions in the church.
The cathedral of Saint Nicholas was the seat of Novo Brdo metropolitans and the largest Orthodox church of the prosperous medieval town. It was built in the second half of the 14th century, most likely during the reign of Prince Lazar.
Endowment of Grand Župan Stefan Nemanja, founder of the Nemanjić dynasty, the monastery, active since 1196, is one of the most famous in Serbia, housing relics and valuable artefacts.
Built in the second half of the 13th century owing to its founder, King Uroš I, the church of the Holy Trinity of the Monastery Sopoćani preserves wall painting which is considered to be among the masterpieces of medieval art.
One of the endowments of Grand Župan Stefan Nemanja, this monastery was built in the eight decade of the 12th century. Being in disrepair for a long time, the monastery was revived at the beginning of the 21st century.
One of the oldest Serbian churches is found on the outskirts of the city of Novi Pazar, where once the old town of Ras, the first capital of Serbia, was located. It was in this church where Stefan Nemanja was baptized.
Built in the late 13th century, the monastery is an endowment of Helen of Anjou, the wife of King Uroš I. Its church is a unique monument in Serbian medieval architecture, remarkable for inclusion of Gothic elements.
Endowment of King Stefan Vladislav Nemanjić, built in the second quarter of the 13th century, was once the burial place of Saint Sava.
Endowment of Petar Brajan, nobleman in the service of King Dušan, built and painted during the 1330's.
Endowment of King Stefan Dragutin Nemanjić, the church dedicated to Saint Achilius was built toward the end of the 13th century.
Endowment of Prince Lazar, built in the 1370's, it is considered to be the earliest monument of the Morava school of architecture.
Endowment of Despot Stefan Lazarević, built in the first decades of the 15th century, the monastery famous for its fortification walls was also an important cultural center at the time of its foundation.
Monastery on the slopes of the mountain Kosmaj, near the town of Mladenovac, was built on the site of a Roman necropolis. Its founder and time of construction are unknown, although it is considered to date from the second decade of the 14th century, based on its architectural properties.
At the foothills of Rudnik mountain, 25 km from Kragujevac, is the picturesque village of Ramaća with its old church, known by its folk name Kumanica, dedicated to Saints Constantine and Helen at the present moment. The church was initially dedicated to Saint Nicholas, as can be deduced from the saint's image within the Founders’ composition and the extensive cycle of his miracles.
The monastery of Jošanica is situated in the foothills of Crni Vrh mountain, some 10 km from the town of Jagodina in central Serbia. The exact date of construction, as well as the original dedication of the monastery katholikon are unknown. According to folk tradition, the monastery is associated with Prince Lazar and his reign.
Located in the historical region of Levač, in south Šumadija, the Kalenić Monastery represents one of the finest monuments of Serbian medieval art, notable for its architecture and sculptural decoration, as well as its mural painting of exceptional quality.