Monastery Studenica is among the most renowned Serbian monasteries. The first stage of building was completed in the spring of 1196, when Stefan Nemanja, Grand Župan of Raška, founder of the monastery, abandoned his throne and settled there. The monastery grounds contain four churches:
Katholikon of the Studenica monastery is also its grandest church, both in terms of its size and appearance. The single-nave domed building combines elements of Byzantine and Western architecture, features rich sculptural decoration and a marble-clad facade. It was erected in 1196, while the large exonarthex was subsequently added.
Serbian King Milutin had the church built in 1313/14 within the walls of the Studenica Monastery. The church is dedicated to saints Joachim and Anna, the parents of the Most Holy Theotokos, Mother of God, but it has become more famous for its founder as the "King's Church".
The complex of the Studenica monastery includes the church of St Nicholas, a small single-nave edifice with painted frescoes from the twelfth or possibly early thirteenth century.
Studenica is located in the central part of Serbia, in between Kraljevo, Raska, and Ivanjica, on the foothills of the mountain Golija.
See the map of all BLAGO collections