The Church of St Demetrios was founded by Archbishop Nikodim (1317-1324). It has a form of a cross-in-square surmounted by a large dome and was built in alternate courses of brick and stone. The entrance is framed by a well-proportioned stone portal. Frescoes were painted between 1322 and 1324; in the first quarter of the 17th century, they were restored by the most famous Serbian painter of the time, Georgije Mitrofanović. Among the wall-paintings portraits of Archbishop Nikodim, King Stefan Dečanski, young King and future Emperor Dušan and Saint Sava can be found, as well as compositions depicting two Serbian councils on the vault of the western bay. The church houses the remains of Archbishop Nikodim, and patriarchs Jefrem, Spiridon, and Sava IV.
Pecka Patrijarsija is located near the town of Pec, south-west of Kosovo & Metohija.
See the map of all BLAGO collections