Our 2021 Project Progress
Publishing: Mother of God in Serbian Medieval Wall Painting
As we have photographed innumerous frescoes in Serbian monasteries and churches with beautiful representations of The Mother of God, we wanted to create an entire publication devoted solely to depictions of the Mother of God in Serbian wall painting of the Middle Ages.
Over 100 pages of high-quality images from the most famous monasteries and those lesser known. This book will be sold in Serbian bookstores or on Amazon for a worldwide audience.
Collections: Sredacka Zupa (Средачка Жупа), Kosovo
The County of Sredska (“Sredachka Zhupa”) is a valley in the southeastern part of Kosovo and Metohija, below the Shar mountains and the source of the Prizren Bistrica river. Historically, this area constituted a small administrative division, “zhupa,” of the medieval Serbian state with the town of Sredska and seven villages around it. Relatively small size, it has a great number of old churches, built around the time of restoration of the Patriarchate of Pec in 1557. These small, one-aisled buildings were a work of local masons, made by the local populace’s efforts from different social strata. They testify to the people’s desire to preserve their religious and national identity despite the difficult economic and political circumstances. Besides their historical importance, many of these churches are of great artistic value, keeping many original wall-painting.
Collections: Monastery Gracanica (Грачаница), collection refresh
Although we have been to Gracanica many times, we believe it is time for a new complete collection. Most of the frescoes have been cleaned and restored in the last few years, and the technology moved to the point of doubling the original picture resolution. Considering the proximity to Sredacka Zupa, we hope to accomplish both of the goals in one long field trip.
Collections: Monastery Kalenic (Каленић)
Built in the early 15th century by nobleman Bogdan, during Stefan Lazarevic’s reign, the Kalenic monastery is situated in central Serbia, Levac, near Kragujevac. It is an important Serbian monastery, belonging to the Morava school of architecture will make an exceptional addition to our collection!
Collections: Monastery Josanica (Јошаница)
It is located in the gorge of the river of the same name at the foot of the mountain Crni Vrh, near the village of Jošanički Prnjavor, about 10 km from Jagodina. The monastery church is dedicated to Saint Nicholas. It was demolished and rebuilt several times, and its history can be traced back to the 17th century only. It is an important place for the period of Serbian uprising against the Turkish occupation. In Josanica, Prince Milosh met with Grand Vizier Marachli Ali Pasha in 1815 to reach the peace agreement and create the modern Serbian state.
Collections: Church in Ramaca (Рамаћа)
The church in the village of Ramaca dates from the end of the 14th century and is dedicated to Saints Constantin and Jelena. The church is mentioned in Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent’s writings when the Turks visited this place during their campaign in the Balkans. It will be another of our collections from central Serbia
Collections: Monastery Manasija
The monastery of Manasija, also known by the name of Resava, is an endowment of Despot Stefan Lazarevic, the son of Prince Lazar and Princess Milica. He wished to build his mausoleum during his lifetime, and the work on the foundation of the monastery began in 1407. The great fortification walls with towers for which it is known, the monumental church of the Holy Trinity, refectory, monastic cells, perhaps even the residence of the despot, were finished in 1418.
Our fresco collection will be completed in 2021.
Collections: Velika Hoca (Велика Хоча), Kosovo and Metohija
Velika Hoca (Велика Хоча) is a village in the municipality of Orahovac, in Kosovo & Metohija. It is one of the Serb enclaves in Kosovo, and houses some 13 Orthodox church buildings, most of which date to the Serbian Middle Ages. Velika Hoča is situated in the historical region of Metohija and is one of the oldest settlements in Metohija. It was given as metochion by Stefan Nemanja to Hilandar in 1198–99 (Charter of Hilandar).
Our picture collection will be completed with proper descriptions in 2021.